Meet Mack Monday
Are you concerned about over development in Newtown, tax increases, traffic, quality of our roads, preserving open space or about any issue that has or will come before the Board of Supervisors (BOS) and other township boards and commissions?
Feel free to attend one of my Meet Mack Monday (MMM) events that I host periodically, usually the 2nd Monday of the month before the first BOS meeting (refer to the Event Calendar for specific dates and access to registration form). I will inform you of items coming up for discussion at public meetings you may not be able to attend and that are not televised. I will listen to your concerns and together with other residents and business owners I will try to come up with solutions to problems that make sense for Newtown as a whole.
DISCLAIMER: Meet Mack Monday meetings are not official Newtown Township meetings. The opinions expressed at Meet Mack Monday events are solely those of John Mack and the attendees of the meeting and do not represent the opinions of any other entity.
As usual, we will meet via Zoom at 7:00 PM. Items on the agenda include:
- Sycamore Street Pedestrian Safety: Speed limit reduced to 25 MPH – from where to where? What’s next?
- 2023 Road Program: At the February 8, 2023 BOS meeting, supervisors will approve advertising for bids to repave up to 4.5 miles of township roads – 2.32 miles in the “Base Bid” plus 2.18 miles in the “Alternate Bid” (depending on availability of funds). Which roads are included? What roads in your neighborhood need repaving?
- Earned Income Tax (EIT): Did this tax increase or decrease for Newtown in 2022 versus 2021? I will present Keystone Collections Group data regarding Newtown resident, non-resident, and delinquent EIT. Why is this tax so important for Newtown and its residents?
- 2022 Speeding Citations: How may speeding citations did the Newtown PD issue in 2022? On which roads did motorists get speeding tickets? Which roads did NOT have speeding citations?
- Provco/Wawa E30 Zoning Validity Challenge: At the January 30, 2023, Zoning Hearing Board (ZHB) meeting, Provco/Wawa challenged the E30 zoning ordinance regarding signage and number of fuel dispensers (see “Provco/Wawa Appeals ZHB’s Decision”). I will review that hearing and explain how the Jointure shares expenses related to this validity challenge.
- Tractor Trailer Trucks Parking on Lower Dolington Rd: What did I learn after bringing this up at the February 8, 2023, BOS meeting?
- Other issues to be determined. RSVP to let me know that you plan to attend this meeting. I will send you the login information. You can tell me what topics interest you the most as well as what other topics you think I should focus on at this meeting. Even if you cannot attend, please fill out the RSVP form and I will send you the meeting presentation and summary of the discussion.
A dozen people (mostly Newtown Twp residents) attended this Zoom meeting, which focused on the following topics (view the presentation below...):
- Change Zoning to Allow Apartment Complex? [Background: “20 December 2022 Newtown Planning Commission Meeting Summary”]
- Should Newtown Pull Out of the Jointure? [This was discussed at the 17 January 2023 Planning Commission meeting. Listen to the discussion...]
- Sewer Rate Increase: Why? Will It Be the Last? [Background: “#NewtownPA Sewer Authority Manager Warren Gormley Explains Rate Increase”]
- “Historic” Site on Toll Bros Site: Should It Be Preserved? [Background: “A ‘Major Historic’ Resource Re-Discovered!”]
- Newtown-Yardley Rd & N Sycamore St Pedestrian Safety: Flashing Beacons, Lower Speed Limits
- Wawa’s Substantive Validity Challenge: What’s Next?
- Lower Dolington Road Trail
- LED Streetlight Procurement Program
- Privilege of the Floor – Q&A Session covering the following:
- Detailed Meeting Notes
The following is a 28-minute video recording of the presentation that was made at the beginning of the meeting:
- 5 December 2022 Meet Mack Monday Summary/Notes
- 17 October 2022 Meet Mack Monday Summary/Notes
- 12 September 2022 Meet Mack Monday Summary/Notes
- 11 July 2022 Meet Mack Monday Summary/Notes
- 6 June 2022 Meet Mack Monday Summary
- 16 May 2022 Meet Mack Monday Summary
- 11 April 2022 Meet Mack Monday Summary
- March 7, 2022, Meet Mack Monday Zoom Meeting.
- February 7, 2022, Meet Mack Monday Zoom Meeting.
- 10 January 2022: Pedestrian Safety, Arcadia U-turn (Notes)
- 22 November 2021: Pedestrian Safety (Notes & Audio Archive)
- 18 October 2021: Manager's Recommended 2022 Budget (Notes & Audio Archive)
- 20 September 2021: Toll Bros All Saints Cemetery Proposed Settlement, Hybrid Meetings (Notes & Audio Archive)
- August 9, 2021: Arcadia Land Development, Toll Bros New Plan, Wawa (Audio Archive)
- June 21, 2021: Starting the 2022 Budget Process Sooner, Wawa ZHB Hearing Summary, Arcadia Land Development Overview, Lower Dolington Trail Progress Report, How to Spend COVID Relief Funds (Video Archive)
- May 3, 2021: Wawa Update, Lower Dolington Trail Update, Preliminary Survey Results (Audio clips)
- March 11, 2021: Wawa, Doggy Dayz K9 Resort, Is 5G Safe?
- February 8, 2021: Arcadia III Settlement
- January 11, 2021: Why I Voted to Approve the 2021 Budget
- December 7, 2020: What Can Be Done to Limit a Tax Increase
- November 9, 2020: Continued discussion of the "Recommended" 2021 Budget
- October 26, 2020: Discuss Details of the "Recommended" 2021 Budget
- October 12, 2020: Arcadia Litigation, Proposed 2021 Budget
- September 21, 2020: 5-Year Financial Plan, E30 Use
- August 24, 2020: Toll Bros Plan
- July 6, 2020: Police Accountability
- May 11, 2020: Newtown BINGO! Helping Businesses During COVID-19
- April 20, 2020: Diversion of Tax Funds to Cover Deficit Spending
- March 9, 2020: Code Regarding Neglected Property
- February 10, 2020: Speeding on Mill Pond Road
- Other Agenda Items TBD